Green-Schools is Ireland’s leading environmental management and education programme for schools.
Promoting long-term, whole-school action for the environment Green-Schools is a student-led programme with involvement from the wider community. The programme is operated and coordinated by the Environmental Education Unit of An Taisce.
We are proud to have achieved five flags so far, in the areas of:
- Litter and Waste: Litter & Waste is the first theme. It focuses on litter, recycling and waste issues, encouraging a sense of responsibility.
- Energy: Energy looks at the steps which can be taken at school to reduce energy consumption and raise awareness of climate change
- Water: This theme develops awareness around water conservation and how to effectively manage this important resource in schools
- Travel: This theme aims to increase the number of students using group transport or carpooling to school.
- Biodiversity: Biodiversity looks at increasing awareness in schools of the importance of native plants, animals and habitats.
Our next goal will be to achieve the Green Flag for Global Citizenship – Litter & Waste. This theme enables schools to discover how work on Green Schools has positively influenced our global community.